Writing and speaking about special needs parenting is one of the best jobs on earth for many, many reasons. Getting to know parents of kids with special needs and hearing their stories tops the list. But other perks include connecting parents to professionals and resources, working from home, being my own boss, and surfing the web for the latest and greatest new special needs news.
8 Great Special Needs Websites
Thanks to the last perk mentioned, I’ve discovered many special needs websites in the past few years. Today, I’m passing along eight great ones (in no particular order) and the reasons I like them.
- www.DivingforPearls.com – Katie Wetherbee’s site provides step-by-step instructions about how to make Sunday school inclusive for kids with special needs. Plus, her Five Facts for Friday will make you laugh, as will the photos of the family dog pitching in around the house.
- www.lovethatmax.com – Ellen Seidman’s blog about life with her son Max is a gem. She’s been blogging about Max, who had a stroke at birth and now lives with cerebral palsy, for years. She’s funny, passionate, honest, and sometimes holds some sweet give away contests.
- www.kidneysandeyes.com – Julia Roberts (she calls herself “the other Julia Roberts) blogs about life with her children, both of whom have kidney and eye issues. From that blog you can get to her parenting support group blog, www.supportforspecialneeds.com, and several other special needs organizations she’s involved with. This woman is an amazing advocate for her kids.
- www.theinclusivechurch.com – Amy Fenton Lee posts some fabulous stuff about special needs ministries at her site. My faves are the ones where she photographs details at churches with special needs ministries and posts how-tos so other churches can replicate them. What a resource!
- www.blog.friendshipcircle.org – This blog is hosted by Friendship Circle of Michigan, a special needs organization that provides supports for families. I followed their blog for a year, as their guest bloggers have a wide base of professional and personal experience and post, and couldn’t believe it when they asked me to join them this past January.
- www.specialneeds.com – This website posts informational articles for parents of kids with special needs. It addresses a variety of special needs topics – from specific conditions to general information of interest to many topics – and is a wealth of information. Again, I was recently asked to make monthly contributions to this site and decided to join them because they are a highly respected site.
- www.wrightslaw.com – If you need to know anything about special needs law and the schools, make this your go to stop. Also, sign up for their newsletter to stay current on public education law and special needs.
- www.theworksofgoddisplayed.com – My friend Shannon Dingle blogs about special needs ministry here. You won’t want to miss her weekly special needs round up on Fridays. She posts links to the best special needs ministry and parenting contributions of the week. It’s a time saver for sure.
DifferentDream.com Guest Bloggers
Maybe you noticed the absence of DifferentDream.com guest blogger’s websites. Of course, they are some of my faves, but since they’re already listed on the guest blogger page and at the end of their contributions, I decided to feature other sites here. But I heartily recommend all of them and encourage you to click this link to read all about them.
Your Turn to Add to the List
Okay, those are my 8 great special needs blog/website recommendations. What do you think is missing? Leave a comment to fill in the gaps. That’s the only way your suggestions could show up in a future post!
Do you like what you see at DifferentDream.com? You can receive more great content by subscribing to the quarterly Different Dream newsletter and signing up for the daily RSS feed delivered to your email inbox. You can sign up for the first in the pop up box and the second at the bottom of this page.